Recipe: Pressure Cooked Wheat Berry And Chickpea Stew
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 large onion — coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 4-5 chunks
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat berries — picked over & rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable stock — or beef stock — or chicken stock — or bouillon
- 4 small parsnips (up to 5), cut in3-4 chunks — peeled
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas — picked over & rinsed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed dried mustrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt — or to taste
- Heat the butter in the cooker. Saute the onion until soft, about 3 minutes. S tir in the celery and wheat berries. Add the stock (watch for sputtering oil), parsnips, chickpeas, mushrooms, bay leaves, and caraway seeds.
- Lock the lid i n place and over high heat bring to high pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure, and cook for 50 miutes. Let the pressure drop naturally, or us a quick release method. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.
- If the wheat berries or chick peas are not quite cook ed, lock the lid back into place and return to high pressure for a few more min utes. Remove the bay leaves, and adjust the seasonings, adding salt to taste.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
My rating: 5 stars: ★★★★★ 1 review(s)