Recipe: Pumpkin Stew
- 1 1/2 lb beef round — boneless, : cubed
- 1 TB butter — not margarine
- 1 md onion — coursely chopped
- 2 stalks celery — coursely : chopped
- 5 c water
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/2 ts dried thyme
- 1/4 ts black pepper
- 5 lb pumpkin
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour — : sifted
- 1 c frozen green peas
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, brown beef in butter. Add onion & celery; saute until browned. Stir in 4 cups water, the salt, thyme, & pepper. Heat to boiling. Cook covered 1 hour.
- Cut 2 inches off the top of the pumpkin. Trim the rim of pumpkin bottom to form points; scoop out seeds. Peel top & trimmings; cut into 1″ cubes; add to beef after 1 hour. Cook 30 mins longer or until tender. Heat oven to 350
- . Bake pumpkin shell 20 mins.
- Stir flour into 1 cup water; add stew with peas. Cook, stirring until thickend; spoon into shell & serve. Note: Do not place pumpkin on direct heat.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)