Recipe: Rack of Venison With Mushrooms
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks
- 1/4 cup each, chopped: shallots and carrot
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley (leaves only)
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 rack of venison (8 ribs, about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mixed exotic mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, portobello)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley or watercress for garnish (optional)
- In a very large saucepan, combine stock, leeks, shallots, carrot, tomato and parsley; whisk in port and tomato paste.
- Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 hours, or until sauce is reduced to 3 cups. Strain and discard solids. Preheat oven to 425F.
- Place venison on a rack in a roasting pan and roast 25 minutes, just to medium rare. Remove venison from oven and set aside. (To add an optional crust on the top, brush 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard over roasted venison. Pat on about 1/2 to 3/4 cup dry seasoned bread crumbs.
- Return venison to oven until bread crumbs are browned.) Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet and add mushrooms; saute briefly, then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour about 1/4 cup sauce on each of 8 plates.
- Place 2 slices venison on each plate, atop sauce.
- Garnish with mushrooms and chopped parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)