Recipe: Savory Beef Stew With Roasted Vegetables
- 1 3/4 lb Boneless beef bottom round
- 1 tb Olive oil
- 3 Garlic cloves; crushed
- 1 cn Ready-to-serve beef broth – (13 to 14 1/2 oz)
- 2 ts Dried thyme leaves
- 12 md Mushrooms
- 6 Plum tomatoes – each cut lengthwise – into quarters, seeded
- 3 sm Onions; each cut lengthwise – into quarters
- 1 1/2 tb Olive oil
- 1 1/2 tb Balsamic vinegar; plus…
- 2 ts Blasamic vinegar; (divided)
- 1 tb Cornstarch; dissolved in…
- 2 tb Water
- 3 c Cooked couscous
- 1. Trim fat from beef. Cut beef into 1-inch pieces. In Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat until hot. Add beef and garlic (1/2 at a time) and brown evenly, stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Season with 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in broth and dried thyme. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Meanwhile heat oven to 425 F. Lightly spray 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan with vegetable cooking spray. Place vegetables in pan. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar; drizzle over vegetables, tossing to coat. Roast in 425 F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Bring beef stew to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in roasted vegetables and remaining 2 teaspoon vinegar. Serve with couscous.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)