Recipe: Shanghai Duck
- 8 lg Scallions, Cut into 2-inch lengths 2 md Star anise, broken into 16 sections
- 2 sl Gingerroot, Half-dollar size
- 5 lb Duck
- 1 c Dark soy sauce
- 1 c Light soy sauce
- 1 c Water
- 3/4 c Sugar.
- Honey Put the scallions, star anise and gingerroot in a heavy pot. Place the duck, breast sideup in the pot. Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the duck. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about two hours or until tender, turning every half-hour. Remove duck from pan and place on a shallow dish, rub honey on duck, place duck in a 400 degree oven just until crispy…not too long.
- Remove and chop into small pieces. Reserve liquid and serve at the table as a sauce. Sometimes I thicken it a little but most of the time we just serve it as is.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Chinese