Recipe: Shellfish Stew Alla Tarantina
- 2 pounds mussels, — scrubbed and debearded
- 1 pound large shrimp, U-15 size, — peeled and deveined
- 1 pound calamari, cleaned of skin, — ink sac and beak
- 1 pound small clams or cockles, — scrubbed and drained
- 12 oysters, shucked, — with liquid reserved
- 6 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped into — 1/4-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cored, — chopped into= 1/4-i
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cored, — chopped= into
- 1/ 2 tablespoons freshly chopped thyme leaves Cut calamari into
- 1/2-inch rings and check oysters for sand and bits of shell.
- In a 4 quart pot, heat olive oil until smoking. Add onion, peppers and thyme leaves and cook until softened but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Add clams, shrimp and mussels and cover.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes until clams have all opened. Add calamari and cook 2 minutes until opaque. Season with salt and pepper, add oysters and oyster liquid and simmer 2 to 3 minutes until oysters have tightened around outer edges. Divide shellfish over pieces of bread in 4 bowls, pour in broth and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)