Recipe: Sherried Baked Duck
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 ounces bottled onion juice
- 4 whole wild ducks salt to taste
- 4 whole bay leaves
- 1 large onion orange slices (optional)
- Place sherry in a heavy medium saucepan; heat just until warm (do not boil). Remove from heat; ignite sherry, and let stand until flames disappear. Add next 7 ingredients; heat well. Sprinkle ducks with salt. Place 1 bay leaf and an onion quarter in cavity of each duck; place ducks, breast side down, in a large roaster. Pour half of hot sherry mixture over ducks; cover and bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until tender, basting occasionally with pan drippings.
- Reheat remaining sherry mixture, and pour mixture over ducks; cool. Cover ducks, and let stand in refrigerator 1 to 2 hours or until ready to reheat and serve, if desired. Cut ducks in half, and return to roaster.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot. Place ducks on serving platter; garnish with orange slices and fresh parsley sprigs, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Chinese
My rating: 4 stars: ★★★★☆ 1 review(s)