Recipe: South Goanese Fiery Duck Curry In Vindaloo Sauce
- 6 Dried red chiles, stemmed -and broken
- 1/2 c Distilled white vinegar
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Half-inch piece peeled fresh -ginger
- 2 ts Ground cumin
- 2 ts Ground coriander
- 1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
- 4 lb Duck, quartered and skinned
- 2 tb Mild vegetable oil
- 1 ts Salt, or to taste
- 1 c Water
- 2 ts Sugar
- 2 tb Minced cilantro or parsley
- Soak chiles in vinegar for 15 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and blend into a puree. Scrape mixture into a small bowl. Add cumin, coriander and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Coat duck pieces well with spice paste. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add duck pieces and brown on all sides.
- Add salt, water, sugar and any remaining spice puree. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until duck is tender, about 1 hour. Skim off all fat. Transfer duck to a heated platter, pour sauce over, and garnish with minced cilantro.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)