Recipe: Split Pea And Lamb Soup
- 1 pk Split peas,green or yellow
- 4 c Thinly sliced celery
- 1 Large onion,chopped
- 1/2 lb Boned lamb shoulder or neck
- 2 Garlic cloves,chopped
- 1 Large dried bay leaf
- 7 c Chicken broth
- 1. Sort peas, discarding any debris. Rinse peas; drain, and set aside.
- In a 5-6 quart pan over high heat, combine celery, onion, lamb, garlic, bay leaf, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and simmer rapidly for 10 minutes. Uncover, turn heat to high, and stir often until browned bits stick in pan. Deglaze by adding 1/3 cup water and stirring to scrape browned bits free. Stir often until liquid evaporates and browned bits form again. Repeat deglazing step several more times until vegetables are a rich brown, about 30 minutes total.
- To pan, add split peas and 7 cups chicken broth; bring to a boil on high heat. Cover and simmer until peas mash easily, about 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf. (You can chill soup atthis step, and continue the next day.) Transfer 3 cups soup (but no meat) to a blender or food processor. Whirl until smoothly pureed. Return to pan. For thinner soup, add more broth. Stir on high heat until hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Persian