Recipe: Split Pea Stew With Chunky Vegetables
- 1 1/2 c Yellow split peas, dry
- 6 c — water
- 2 Plum tomatoes OR
- 1 md Tomato — chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves — chopped
- 1/4 c Parsley — chopped
- 1 t Dill weed, dried OR
- 1 tb Dill, fresh — chopped
- 2 c Sweet potatoes — peeled,cubed
- 2 c Broccoli florets, small
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- soak peas in 4 cups water for 4 hours or longer. In a medium saucepan, bring peas and soaking water to a boil. Add tomatoes. Simmer, covered, until peas arevery soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of pea mixtureuntil smooth, adding a little extra water if necessry. Return pureed peas to the saucepan. Cover and keep warm. In a large, deep pot, combine onion, garlic, parsley, dill, sweet potatoes and remaining 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 6 to 7 minutes.
- Ad broccoli and simmer another 6 to 8 minutes, or until broccoli is tneder but still crunchy. Add pea mixture, reduce heat to low, cover and cook gently until just heated through. Serve garnished with parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)