Recipe: Spring Lamb And Vegetable Soup
- 1 c Romano beans; dry
- 1 1/2 lb Lamb; boneless shoulder
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
- 4 Leeks
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 c Chicken broth
- 1 tb Marjoram;fresh,fine chopped
- Salt Pepper 1 sm Cauliflower
- 2 sm Zucchini
- 1/2 pk Spinach (10oz/284g pkg)
- 1/4 c Parsley; chopped
- Parmesan cheese;fine grate Sort and rinse beans; soak overnight in cold water to cover (at least 5 c1;0cups) or bring to boil in water to cover, boil 2 minutes, cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and reserve 4 cups of the soaking liquid. Trim lamb and cut into 3/4 inch cubes.
- In large saucepan or kettle, heat oil and brown lamb cubes on all sides over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, cut root ends from leeks; slice lengthwise and rinse well under cold running water. Slice thinly.
- Mince garlic and add to lamb. Saute 3 to 4 minutes. Peel, seed and chop tomatoes. Add with beans, broth, reserved bean liquid, marjoram and salt and pepper to taste. Brint to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and slice zucchini. Add both to soup and cook 10 minutes. Wash and chop spinach; add to soup with parsley and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer. Do not overcook since spinach will lose its colour. If making ahead, add spinach and parsly just before serving, after soup has been reheated.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Chinese