Recipe: Stewed Lamb Shanks And White Beans
- 8 Each Lamb Shanks,About 1 Lb Each — bones cracked
- 4 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper — to taste 5 Cloves Garlic — minced
- 1 Large Onion — diced
- 4 Medium Carrots — diced
- 3 Stalks Celery — diced
- 1 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 28 Ounces Can Whole Tomatoes In Puree
- 1 Pound Dried Great Northern Beans
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Each Bay Leaves
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover and drain or use the “quick soak” method. Season lamb shanks with 1 tsp of the salt and pepper to taste. In a large deep skillet,heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the lamb shanks on all sides about 10 minutes(.Do not crowd and work in batches if needed,removing fat as necessary). Remove browned shanks to a platter.Add the garlic,carrots,onions and celery to the skillet and cook until softened,about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook 2 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large stockpot. Add the tomatoes,using back of spoon to break up. Add the beans,shanks,stock,rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to a boil,reduce to a simmer and skim surface as needed. Cover and cook until lamb and beans are tender,about 2 hours. Skim as much fat as possible from surface.
- Remove shanks, using tongs,to 8 individual plates. Season the bean mixture with salt & pepper if needed. Discard the rosemary and bay leaves. Using a slotted spoon,arrange some of the bean mixture around each lamb shank. Serve immediately
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Greek