Recipe: Three Meat Stew With Vegetables (Pichelsteiner)
- 1 tb Lard
- 1 1/4 lb Pork and beef as well as -lamb or mutton (mutton -gives An excellent flavor), cut -into 3/4 inch cubes 2 md To 3 md onions, diced
- Salt Freshly ground black pepper Crushed marjoram 3 md Potatoes, peeled and finely -diced
- 1 sm Celery root, peeled and -diced, OR
- 4 celery Stalks, diagonally sliced 1/2 lb Carrots, peeled and -diagonally sliced
- 1 lg Leek (white part only), -washed and sliced 2 c Beef stock
- Chopped fresh parsley Heat the lard in a heavy bottomed pot (or ovenproof Pyrex casserole or the like). Lightly sear and mix together the meat cubes and the onions; season with salt, an ample amount of pepper, and a very little bit of crushed marjoram.
- Remove two thirds of the meat and onions from the pot and set aside. Mix the potatoes and vegetables together; spread a third of these over the bottom layer of meat cubes in the pot or casserole. Sprinkle with salt and a little pepper. Alternate 2 more layers of meat with 2 more layers of vegetables. Each layer should be separately seasoned with salt and pepper; the top layer MUST consist of vegetables and potatoes. Pour in the beef stock. Cover tightly and cook over medium-low heat for just about 2 hours.
- Cooking in a 350 degrees F oven is also possible. You should not stir the stew, but you can tilt the pot back and forth to circulate the liquid and prevent the bottom layer from burning. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: German