Recipe: Traditional Scotch Broth
- 1 lb Neck of mutton or boiling -beef 2 qt Cold water
- 1 ts Salt
- 2 tb Pearl barley
- 2 tb Yellow split peas
- 2 tb Dried green peas
- 2 md Size carrots
- 2 Leeks
- 3 tb Diced rutabaga
- 1 md Onion
- 1/2 sm Cabbage
- 1 ts Finely chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste Put the meat, water, salt and washed pearl barley into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil very slowly and skim.
- Dice the vegetables and wash and shred the cabbage and add to the pan. Bring the soup back to a boil again and simmer very gently until the meat is cooked and the peas are tender – about two hours.
- Add parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Posted by Gavin Davies. Courtesy of Fred Peters.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)