Recipe: Uzbek Palov
- 1 lb Lamb boneless cubed 1″
- 3 ea Carrots julliened
- 2 ea Onions cut to strips 1/4″ -wide
- 2″ long 1/4 c Peanut oil
- 6 c Cold water
- 3 c Rice uncooked
- 1 t Black pepper fresh ground
- 1 T Salt
- 1 ea Garlic clove minced
- 1/4 c Raisins
- 1/4 c Chick peas
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over High heat. Drop in the lamb cubes and fry them 6-7 minutes. be sure to turn them constantly. Drain them and remove to a large casserole <4 qt. is a good size>.
- In the oil left in the pan add the onions, garlic, carrots, raisins, chick peas, salt, & pepper. Cook until browned then add the rice. Reduce the heat to Low and stir for 3 minutes. Pour this mixture into the casserole and toss lightly. Add the water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to Low, cover, & simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. serve at once.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)