Recipe: Weight Watcher’S Irish Stew
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 1 lb 6 oz lean boneless lamb, cut -into 1 1/2″ squares
- 1/2″ -thick (or boneless chuck) 1 md Onion, chopped
- 3 c Low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 ts Dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 5 oz whole new red potatoes
- 15 oz Small onions, peeled
- 1 c Irish ale or beer
- 1 ts Salt
- 2 tb Cornstarch
- Chopped parsley 6 1 oz sliced Italian bread
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat 1/2 of the oil. Add 1/2 of the lamb or beef and cook until well browned on one side, 5-7 min. Stir and cook 1 minute longer; remove meat and set aside. Add the remaining oil the lamb (or beef) and the chopped onion to the pan and cook until browned, about 8-10 min. Return the first batch of meat to the pan.
- Add broth and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add thyme and bay leaf; lower heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, onions, ale and salt. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 30-40 minutes.
- To thicken stew, add cornstarch to 1/4 cup cold water in a small bowl; stir until smooth. Add to simmering stew; stir gently until thickened. Garnish with parsley; serve with bread.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Irish