Recipe: Weisse Bohnensuppe (White Bean Soup)
- 1 lb Navy Beans; Dry
- 3 qt Water
- 1 ea Ham Bone Or Hock; Smoked
- 2 T Parsley; Chopped
- 1 c Onions; Finely Chopped
- 1 ea Garlic; Clove, Minced
- 2 c Celery &Tops; Finely Chopped
- 1 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Pepper
- Cover beans with water in large pot or soup kettle and soak overnight. Rinse beans well and return to pot with ham bone and 3 quarts of water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours.
- Add parsley, onions, garlic, celery and tops, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove ham bone, dice the meat, and add meat to soup.
- Serve hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)