Recipe: Well-Fried Beans (Frijoles Refritos)
- 1/2 lb Beans, cooked (3-1/2 to 4 -cups with broth)
- 10 inch frying pan
- 6 tb Melted lard or pork -drippings
- 1/4 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 oz Queso fresco, crumbled (I -used shredded Monterery -Jack)
- 12 Totopos (fried tortillas, or -tortilla chips) Some romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 Radish roses
- Heat the lard and fry the onion, without browning, until it is soft.
- Add 1 cup of the beans and their broth to the pan and mash them well over a very high flame. (With a bean masher or wooden potato masher)
- Add the rest of the beans gradually, mashing them all the time, until you have a course puree.
- When the puree begins to dry out and sizzle at the edges, it will start to come away from the surface of the pan.
- As you let it continue cooking, tip the pan from side to side. The puree will form itself into a loose roll. This will take from 15 to 20 minutes.
- Tip the roll, rather like folding an omelet, onto the serving dish and garnish with the cheese. Spike it with the crisp triangles of tortillas.
- Decorate. From: The Cuisines of Mexico Shared By: Pat Stockett
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)