Recipe: West Mixed Vegetables Jaipur Style (Sabji Jaipuri)
- 1 ts Coriander seeds
- 1 tb Mild vegetable oil
- 1 md Onion, sliced
- 2 tb Tomato paste
- 10 Whole cashew nuts
- 1 c Half-and-half
- 1 tb Ghee
- 5 Whole cloves
- 5 Cardamom pods
- 1 One-inch piece cinnamon -stick
- 1 md Tomato, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 c Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 c Broccoli florets
- 5 Brussels sprouts, cut in -half
- 1 md Carrot, cut into 2-inch -sticks
- 1/2 c Diagonally cut green beans
- 1/2 c Water
- 1/2 ts Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 ts Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 c Raisins
- Fresh mint sprigs for -garnish This makes a delicious and colorful vegetarian entree. Combine cumin and coriander in a small skillet and dry-roast over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan, add onion and stir-fry until brown, combine cumin-coriander, fried onion, tomato paste, nuts and half of the half-and-half. Blend into smooth past and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat Add cloves, cardamom and cinnamon, stir until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and cook until soft. Add remaining vegetables and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir in ground paste, remaining half-and-half, the water, cayenne, salt and raisins. Cover cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)