Recipe: White Bean And Potato Pie
- 2 cups dried navy beans
- 5 cups water
- 4 garlic cloves — peeled
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium onions — peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes — peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs — lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Place the beans in a stockpot with the water, garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until the water has been absorbed. Transfer the beans and garlic to the bowl or a food processor fitted with the metal blade and puree them.
- While the beans are simmering, heat 6 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the onions and potatoes and cook over medium-low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, until the onions are golden and the potato tender. Stir in the tomato paste and pepper flakes.
- Season with black pepper and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Lightly grease a 10-inch pie plate. Sprinkle it with bread crumbs. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Transfer the pureed beans to a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Beat in the eggs.
- Scrape the mixture into the pie plate, smoothing the surface with a spatula. Cover the beans with the onion and potato mixture, spreading it evenly over the top. Bake the pie for 35 to 40 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the minced parsley. Serve warm.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)