Recipe: White Bean Chili With Turkey
- 1 lb Dried white beans
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 2 c Chopped onions
- 2 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 6 Cl Garlic; minced
- 1 1/2 tb Dried oregano; crushed
- 1 tb Ground cumin
- 1 tb Chili powder
- 7 c Chicken broth
- 18 oz Fresh or canned tomatillos chopped,
- about 3 1/2 cups 1 c Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 lb Boneless skinless turkey breast, cut crosswise -in half
- 1 c Chopped green onions
- 2 tb Fresh lime juice
- 2/3 c Plain yogurt
- 3 tb Chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tb Chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 c Grated cheddar cheese
- Cover beans with cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for 1-2 min. Turn off heat and let soak for 1 1/2 hours. Drain beans.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute 5 minutes.
- And chili powder. Saute for 5 minutes. Add beans, chicken broth, chopped tomatillos and cilantro. It’s important that the chicken broth contain little or no salt.
- Salt inhibits the softening of the seed coat of beans. Therefore, if you add salt too early the beans with never soften up.
- Add turkey breast and simmer until just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer turkey to plate. Cover with foil and refrigerate. Simmer chili until beans are tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Cut turkey into 1/2 inch pieces. Add turkey, green onions and lime juice to chili. Stir. Heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- For cilantro cream: Combine yogurt, parsley, chopped cilantro in a medium bowl. Ladle chili into bowls.
- Top with spoonful of cilantro cream. Sprinkle with cilantro sprigs and cheese. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover chili and cilantro cream separately and refrigerate.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)