Recipe: White Bean Soup With Rosemary
- 2 tb Olive oil
- 1 c Diced onion
- 1 Carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 Celery stalk, sliced
- 2 tb Minced garlic
- 1/2 c Diced country ham or prosciu
- 3/4 lb Dried cannellini or navy bea
- 2 tb Fresh chopped rosemary (2 t
- 8 c Chicken stock
- 1/2 ts Pepper
- HEAT THE OIL IN A LARGE saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and ham and saute, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, rosemary, chicken stock and pepper, and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Taste the cooking liquid, and add enough salt so that it becomes slightly salty (the amount needed will vary depending on the type of ham used for seasoning).
- Recover the pot and simmer for 40 to 60 minutes, or until the beans are soft.
- Puree the mixture in a food processor fitted with the steel blade or in a blender.
- Serve hot. Serves 6 to 8. The soup can be made up to three days in advance and refrigerated, covered.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)