Recipe: White Bean Soup
- 1 lb Navy beans; dry
- 3 qt Water
- 1 ea Ham bone or hock; smoked
- 2 T Parsley; chopped
- 1 c Onions; finely chopped
- 1 ea Garlic; clove, minced
- 2 c Celery &tops; finely chopped
- 1 1/2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Pepper
- Cover beans with water in large pot or soup kettle and soak overnight. Rinse beans well and return to pot with ham bone and 3 quarts of water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours. Add parsley, onions, garlic, celery and tops, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove ham bone, dice the meat, and add meat to soup. Serve hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)