Recipe: White Beans, Greens And Sun-Dried Tomato Crosti
- 1 c Dried white beans — soaked Overnight in refrigerator
- 1 lg Onion — whole; chopped
- 8 To 12 whole garlic cloves salt/pepper
- 1/2 c Sun-dried tomatoes (not Packed in oil)
- 1/2 c Nonfat plain yogurt
- 10 c Assorted greens(escarole, Arugula, dandelion, or Radicchio) — well rinsed and -coarsely chopped
- 3 tb Red wine vinegar
- 1/2 ts Hot red pepper flakces, or More to taste
- 8 sl Whole grain bread
- Drain the beans, rinse, and cover with 4 to 6 cups fresh water. Add the onion and all but 1 of the cloves, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 1 hour, until the beans are very soft. Drain the beans, onions, and garlic, and reserves the remaining bean liquid.
- Place the bean mixture in the container of a food processor and puree, adding enough cooking liquid to make a soft puree.
- Season with slt and pepper. Set aside. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes and soak them for 15 to 30 minutes in just enough bean cooking liquid to soften and release their flavor.
- Fold the tomatoes into the beans. Fold in the yogurt. In a large saute’ pan over high heat, wilt the greens in the vinegar. Drain well and season with salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes, and additional vinegar, if desired.
- To assemble the crostini, grill or toast the whole grain bread. While warm, rub it with the remaining garlic clove, cut in half.
- Spread the bread slices with white bean puree and top each with chopped greens.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)