Recipe: White Beans With Roasted Garlic Dressing
- 1 sm Garlic head
- 2 Bread slices, Italian, firm
- 1 tb Lemon juice, fresh
- 2 tb Vegetable stock
- 4 ts Olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 ts Mustard, Dijon pn Pepper, cayenne 15 oz Beans, Great Northern, canned; drained and rinsed
- 1 sm Bell pepper, red; seeded,finely diced
- 2 tb Chives; snipped OR
- 2 tb Scallion greens; chopped
- 1 tb Oregano, fresh; chopped OR
- 1/2 ts Oregano, dried
- Salt and pepper to taste 3 c Chicory or other bitter-lettuce; washed and torn Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Remove 1 clove of garlic from the head; peel and cut in in half. Rub the garlic on both sides of bread slices; cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place on a baking sheet. Remove the loose, papery skin from the garlic head and slice 1/2 inch off the top. Wrap in aluminum foil and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until croutons are crisp and golden. Remove the croutons and set aside.
- Continue roasting the garlic for 20 to 25 minuts longer; it should be quite soft. Unwrap and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Separate the garlic cloves and squeeze ut the pulp into a smal bowl; mash with a fork. Whisk in lemon juice, vegetable stock, oil, mustard and cayenne.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine beans, red peppers, chives or scallion greens, oregano and the reserved croutons.
- Pour the garlic dressing over and toss until well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately on a bed of chicory.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)