Recipe: White Chile
- 1 lb Dries white beans
- 1 T Olive oil
- 4 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 t Ground cumin
- 1/4 t Ground cloves
- 6 c Chicken stock
- 2 lb Boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 2 4 oz cans green chile,chopp
- 1 1/2 t Dried oregano,crumbled
- 1/4 t Cayenne pepper
- 3 c Grated monterey jack cheese
- Place beans in a heavy large pot. Add enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches and soak over night. Place chicken in heavy large saucepan.
- Add cold water to cover and bring to simmer. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and cool. Remove skin. cut chicken into cubes. Drain beans. Heat oil in same pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, then chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne and saute 2 minutes.
- Add beans and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very tender,stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
- Add chicken and one cup cheese to chile and stir until cheese melts.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with remaining cheese, sour cream, salsa and cilantro.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)