Recipe: White Chili 2
- 1 pound Great Northern beans
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion — chopped
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 2 4 oz. cans diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Rinse beans. Place in Dutch oven and add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cover and let beans soak for one hour. Drain. Add chicken broth, onion, garlic, chilies, oregano, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer one hour.
- Stir in chicken and simmer, covered, for 1/2 to 1 hour more. Stir in cheese until melted and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)