Recipe: White Lasagna
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound uncooked curly lasagne noodles Cream Sauce
- 1 pound ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese — sliced chopped parsley
- In a skillet cook the meat, breaking it up with a fork, for 2 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook slowly, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are limp. Cook the lasagna noodles as directedon the package, drain well and keep separated on waxed paper.
- Spread a small amount of Cream Sauce in a shallow baking dish about 13x8x2 inches. Add the remaining Cream Sauce to the meat mixture. Add a layer of noodles to the baking dish, spread with the meat sauce and dot with ricotta cheese.
- Then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and top with a few slices of mozzarella. Repeat the layers, making 3 layers of each ingredient. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 40 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for about 5 minutes, then sprinkle with parsley.
- Makes 8 servings. CREAM SAUCE: 3 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons flour 1 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper Dash nutmeg 2 1/2 cups milk 1/3 cup chopped parsley Melt the butter in a saucepan and blend in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute longer. Add the parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Mexican