Recipe: Wide Noodle Pasta With Red Sauce And Cannellini(Lf)
- 4 tomatoes — diced
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts — rinsed and drained
- (12 to 15 oz) 7 ounces roasted red bell peppers — (1 jar) drained
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth — low salt
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato pesto — bottled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha or Tabasco
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 whole white onion — chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil — as needed
- 3 large cloves garlic — coarsely chop
- 1/2 cup white wine — (fume blanc)
- 15 ounces cannellini beans — cooked, drained
- salt and pepper — to taste 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 pound pasta — pappardelle
- Parmesan cheese — fresh
- TOMATO MIX: In a food processor, coarsely chop the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and peppers.
- Transfer to a big bowl and add the chicken broth, pesto, oregano and hot sauce. Dissolve the cornstarch in this mixture.
- ONION MIX Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or wok over medium heat, sweat the onion until well-browned, adding oil only if needed.
- Add chopped garlic to wok and saute for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the wine.
- BEAN SAUCE: Stirring constantly, add the tomato mixture to the wok and cook into a sauce; adding more broth or water if needed.
- Adjust to taste with salt and pepper. Add the cannellini beans and heat them. Add the parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta al dente. Drain. Serve pasta on heated plates (if possible) and spoon sauce over, garnish with freshly grated Asiago.
- Variations/Substitutions Substitute 1 leek for the onion. Substitute 1 16-oz can of ‘recipe ready’ ripe roma tomato concasse for the fresh tomato.
- Substitute broad egg noodles for the pappardelle.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)