Recipe: Worth Waiting For Baked Beans
- 1 lb Dried navy beans
- 2 ts Unsalted butter
- 1 Clove garlic — crushed
- 1 c Onion — finely chopped
- 3 Strips bacon —
- Cooked&crumbled 3 Strips bacon — uncooked
- 2 ts Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tb Dark brown sugar
- 4 tb Molasses
- 5 tb Chili sauce
- 1 tb Dry mustard — English
- 1 ts Curry powder
- 1 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/2 c Dark rum
- 1 1/2 c Tomato juice
- Needed Place beans in large pot of boiling water over high heat. Return to boiling. Turn off heat; let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to very slow (275F). Grease 1 3/4 quart bean pot or casserole with the butter. Rub with garlic.
- Drain beans. Place in large mixing bowl. Add onion, crumbled bacon, brown sugar, Worcestershire, molasses, chili sauce, dry mustard, curry powder, salt and rum.
- Mix well. Stir in 1/4 cup of the tomato juice. Transfer to prepared bean pot. Place uncooked bacon strips on top.
- Bake, covered in a 275F oven for 7 hours or until beans are tender, gently stirring in additional tomato juice as liquid is absorbed by beans.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)