- 6 Lamb leg or shoulder chops -(thickly cut)
- 1/4 c Butter or corn oil
- 1 lg Onion; finely chopped
- 1 c Tomato puree
- 1 c Chopped, peeled tomatoes
- 3 Cloves
- 1 lg Cinnamon bark piece
- Salt Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 c Boiling water or stock-(more if necessary)
- 2 c Orzo or kritharaki
- 1/4 c Grated kefalotiri cheese
- 1/2 c Diced haloumy or feta cheese
- Oven temperature: 180oC (350oF) Cooking time: 2 hours Have meat retailer cut chops about 4 cm (1-1/4 inches) thick. Alternatively purchace a leg of lamb and have it cut into 6 pieces.
- Place lamb in a baking dish and spread or pour oil or butter on top. Bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes. Add onion to dish and return to oven for further 10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, cloves, cinnamon bark and salt and pepper to taste. Baste meat with liquid and cook for futher hour until meat is tender, adding a little of the water or stock if necessary. When meat is cooked add water or stock and stir in pasta.
- Cook for futhre 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding a little more liquid if mixture looks dry. When pasta is tender, sprinkle cheese over pasta and return to oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Greek