Recipe: Country Style Venison Stew
- 1/2 lb Bacon or salt pork
- 2 lb Venison steak
- 4 tb Flour
- 6 c Water or beef stock
- 1 lg Tomato, chopped
- 2 md Carrots, sliced
- 2 md Stalks celery, sliced
- 2 md Potatoes, in 1″ cubes
- 1 Dozen small white onions
- 1 tb Chopped parsley 1 c Fresh green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste Cut bacon into 1″ cubes and saute in large saucepan until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. Cut venison into 1 1/2 or 2″ pieces and brown over high heat in 4 T bacon drippings.
- Stir in flour. Lower heat and let brown 2-3 minutes, stirring several times. Add liquid and let it simmer 1 hour or more until venison begins to get tender, add more liquid as necessary.
- Add all the other ingredients, except peas, and continue to simmer to make a thick stew. Simmer peas in a separate pan until done.
- Strain and spoon over or around stew when served. Great accompanied by buttered corn muffins and a salad.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)