Recipe: Farm Market Soup Stew
- 2 tb Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 md Carrots — halved lengthwise,
- -and cut into 1/2-inch -lengths 3 md Onions — cut into 1/4-inch
- -dice 4 Garlic cloves — minced
- 2 Leeks (3 inches of green
- -left on) — well washed and -cut into small dice 1 sm Head green cabbage — cored
- -and cut into 1-inch pieces 1 Russet potato — peeled and
- -diced 1/2 c Green split peas, dried
- 8 c Vegetable broth
- 1 c Parsley, flat-leaf — chopped
- 1 t Tarragon
- 2 ts Thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste 4 md Zucchinis — cut into 1/2-inch
- -dice 3/4 lb Swiss chard or spinach — cut
- -crosswise into 1-inch -slices 6 Plum tomatoes — seeded and -diced
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat.
- Add carrots, onions, garlic and leeks. Cook over low heat for 15 minutes to wilt vegetables, stirring occasionally.
- Fold cabbage, potato and split peas into vegetables. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup parsley, thyme, taragon, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add zucchini and cook 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Add Swiss chard and cook 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and the remaining 1/2 cup parsley; cook 5 minutes longer.Serve piping hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)