Recipe: Pilav Kuzulu (Lamb Pilaf)
- 3 Tomatoes peeled
- 4 tb Olive oil
- 2 Med. onions chopped
- 2 lb Lamb cubed Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 ts Cinnamon
- 2 tb Pine nuts (pignoli)
- 3 tb Raisins
- 1 Green pepper sliced
- 1 1/2 c Long grain rice
- 1/4 c Fresh parsley chopped
- 3 c Beef broth
- Tomatoes should be seeded and chopped. Prepare in a 5 qt. dutch oven that can be placed in an oven. Heat oil, add onion and fry until soft and golden. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Add salt, pepper and cinnamon. Add tomatoes, pine nuts, raisins and green pepper, cover and simmer for 10 min.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 min. Add parsley, and broth. Cook over moderate heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and small holes appear on the surface of the rice.
- Place casserole in a preheated 300 degree oven for approx. 30 min. (Orig. recipe called for doing whole recipe on the stove, but the last 30 min., casserole dish was to be placed on an asbestos pad and heat was lowered to low. Serve with a few spoons of yogurt that has been flavored with lots of fresh garlic.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)