Recipe: Potato-Moussaka Casserole
- 4 medium red skin potatoes (4 oz ea) water
- 8 ounces lean ground lamb
- 1 medium onion — chopped fine
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 400F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or other 2-quart baking dish. Prick potatoes with fork. Cook until tender, either in 2 inches of boiling water in a tightly covered saucepan 10-12 minutes (OR in a covered microwave-safe bowl with 2 tablespoons water 5-7 minutes on high, rearranging potatoes once) until tender.
- When cool enough to handle, cut in 1/2 inch thick slices. Meanwhile cook lamb and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring to break up meat, until no longer pink. Add 1 cup water, the barley, 1 cup of the tomato sauce, the oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the cinnamon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 12 minutes stirring occasionally, until barley is tender. In a 2 cup glass measure, whisk milk, eggs, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper until blended. Place 1/2 the potato slices in a single layer on bottom of prepared dish ( Potatoes will not cover entire surface).
- Spoon on lamb mixture; top with remaining potatoes. Pour milk mixture evenly over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 35 minutes of until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, and top is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Heat remaining tomato sauce in microwave or small saucepan.Spoon some on each serving. Per serving: 483 cal, 24 g protein, 49 g carb, 21 g fat, 213 chol, 992 mg sodium Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 veg, 1 1/2 med-fat meat, 2 1/2 fat.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)