Recipe: Queen Of Sheba Meatloaf
- 2 tb Virgin olive oil
- 3 tb Butter
- 4 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 md Onions finely chopped
- 1/2 c Finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 t Fennel seeds
- 2 1/2 lb Lean ground lamb
- 1 lb Ground hot sausage casing -removed Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 c Dry vermouth
- 3/4 c Dry bulgur wheat soaked for -30 minutes in water to cover 2 lg Eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tb Ketchup
- 1 t Sesame oil
- 2 tb Dried mint
- 1 t Ground allspice
- 1/4 t Dried rosemary
- 1 t Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t Grated nutmeg
- 1/8 t Black pepper
- 2 tb Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c Toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 c Pistachios
- 3 tb Bay leaves split in half
- Preheat oven to 375’F. Thoroughly coat a Bundt pan with olive oil. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the garlic and onions. Saute until the onions are transluscent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the parsley and fennel seeds. Remove half the onion mixture and combine with the ground lamb in a large bowl. Set aside the other half of the onion mixture. Add the ground sausage to the saute pan, and brown. Add the lime juice and vermouth. Remove from the heat.
- Add this mixture to the reserved onion mixture. Set aside. Squeeze the excess water from the bulur wheat. Mix with the lamb. Add the eggs, ketchup, sesame oil, mint, allspice, rosemary, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Divide this mixture in half.
- Press half the lamb mixture into the pan. Arrange the sausage mixture on top of the lamb. Sprinkle the pine nuts and pistachios evenly over the sausage layer. Press the other half of the lamb mixture on top of the nut layer.
- Dot the loaf with the remaining tablespoon of butter and place the broken bay leaves on top of the loaf. Bake for 1 hour or until done. Remove the bay leaves. Let the loaf sit for 15 minutes before inverting it onto a round serving platter.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)