Recipe: Roast Lamb A La Mum
- 1 Leg of lamb
- 2 Lemons
- Plain flour 3 Cloves garlic
- 12 Small sprigs rosemary
- 500 g Potatoes peeled
- 200 g Brown onions
- 100 g Unsalted butter
- 750 ml Beef stock
- 15 Mint leaves
- Salt Freshly ground black pepper Chopped parsley for garnish Preheat oven to maximum temperature. Trim lamb of all fat and sinew. Rub with juice of 1-1.1/2 lemons, then with flour. Season and make 12 small cuts into the lamb, 1cm deep.
- Peel garlic and cut into 12 long slivers. Insert one of these slivers into each cut along with a sprig of rosemary. Push in with top of knife. Set aside. Slice potatoes and onion into 1/4cm slices.
- Melt half the butter in a roasting tray and toss vegetables in it. Add 500ml of the stock. Put rack in roasting tray and put lamb on top. Cook in preheated oven until it reaches 75C on the meat thermometer (for medium rare).
- Chop mint finely amd mix with juice of half of one of the lemons and rest of the butter. When lamb is redy let it rest, loosely covered, in a warm place for 10 mins.
- Strain pan juices carefully into pan and set vegetables aside in a warm place. Add the remaining stock to the pan, degrease and boil over a high heat until thickened. Whisk in mint butter bit by bit. Season.
- Slice lamb. Put vegetables on plates, top with lamb and spoon sauce over. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)