Recipe: Roast Leg Of Lamb With Rhubarb Mint Chutney
- 1 Leg of Spring Lamb
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 2 ts Dried mint
- 1 ts Lemon zest; grated
- 1 tb Butter
- 1 sm Onion; minced
- 3 c Rhubarb; chopped
- 2/3 c Granulated sugar
- 1/4 c Lemon juice; fresh
- Salt Pepper Use fresh or frozen, short-cut, leg of lamb. If using frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight. Trim any excess fat from lamb and make several slits in meaty side.
- Stir together oil, half the mint and half the lemon zest. Rub all over leg, making sure it goes into the slits. (Leg can be prepared to this point, covered and refrigerated for up to one day) To make Rhubarb Mint Chutney, melt butter in large skillet over medium heat; cook onion for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, remaining mint and remaining lemon zest. Bring to boil stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Chutney can be prepared, cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.) Place lamb on rack in shallow roast pan; roast, uncovered, in 450F(230C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 325F(160C) and continue roasting for about 1 hour and 15 minutes longer or until internal temperature is 130F(54C) to 140F(60C) on meat thermometer.
- Remove lamb and let rest for 15 minutes under tent on foil before carving. Accompany with Rhubarb Mint Chutney to serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)