Recipe: Roast Stuffed Shoulder Of Lamb~
- 4 Pounds Shoulder Of Lamb — Boned
- Stuffing: 1/2 Ounce Butter
- 2 Ounces Mushrooms — Chopped
- 3 Ounces Soft White Bread Crumbs
- Salt And Pepper 1/2 Teaspoon Mixed Herbs
- 1 Egg To Bind Or — Beaten
- 3 1/2 Ounces Prepared Stuffing Mix
- Flour Dried Rosemary — Optional 1 Clove Garlic — Optional
- Salt And Pepper
- Open out meat and place stuffing near centre. Roll up and tie firmly with string at 1 ” intervals. Place meat on rack in roasting tin. Dust with flour (this helps crisp the fat) and sprinkle with rosemary. Place skinned, crushed clove of garlic beneath the rack.
- Cook in a very moderate oven (350 F, gas mark 3) for 45 minutes per pound stuffed weight. When done, remove roast to a heated platter and keep it warm while you make gravy in the roasting tin.
- Pour of all but 1 tablespoonful fat. Stir in 1 tablespoon flour. Gradually add about 3/4 pint hot stock (e. g. liquid in which vegetables have been cooked) and boil up.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, strain and serve. Usual accompaniments are mint sauce or redcurrant jelly, roast or creamed potatoes, carrots, cauliflower or peas.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)