Recipe: Sabzi Koofteh
- 1 lb Ground meat (beef or lamb)
- 2 Med. onion
- Large handful of fresh mint Large handful of fresh
- Watercress Salt Turmeric 1 Egg
- Butter Tomato paste Split peas Rice Cook same of rice and split peas (1/2-3/4 c. each) in pan – with not too much water for 5-10 min.
- Chop onion with mint and watercress. Add about 1/2 t. salt and 1/4 to 1/2 t. turmeric on rice, then add onions and mix with meat. Add 1 egg. Mix well.
- Coarsely chop 1 med onion and put in pan with a little oil and about 3 T. butter Saute, then add about 1/2 t. turmeric, 3 T. tomato paste, salt (1/2 t.), and water (about 1/2 saucepan). Bring to a boil. Make palm-sized meatballs and place in boiling mixture.
- Cook about 1/2 hr. Serve in bowls with broth. Yogurt and pickles on the side.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Persian