Recipe: Scotch Broth(Pressure Cooked)
- 2 1/2 pounds lamb neck see note
- 8 cups cold water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup pearl barley picked over & rinsed
- 1/2 cup split pease picked over & rinsed
- 2 medium leeks, white only thinly sliced
- 1 large onion coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled cut in 3-4 chunks
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs parsley (or 5)
- cut lamb into 2″ pieces and trim of excess fat
- Rinse the lamb and set it in the bottom of the cooker.
- Add the water and slowl y bring to the boil.
- Skim off any solid white skum that forms on the surface.
- Add the salt and skim again. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure.
- Adjust the heat to maintain h igh pressure and cook for 20 minutes.
- Let the pressure drop naturally or use a quick release method.
- Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any e xcess steam to escape.
- Remove the bay leaves and parsley.
- Add salt if desired .
- Author’s Notes: Try to prepare this soup a day in advance so that, before serv ing, you can remove the fat that congeals on the surface.
- Variations: some versions add chunks of rutabaga and chopped cabbage
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)