Recipe: Shahi Korma (Lamb In Saffron And Cardamom Cream Sauce)
- 1 tb Cumin seeds 4 ts Coriander seeds
- 1 Or 2 teaspoons cayenne -pepper 1 ts Saffron threads
- 3 tb Hot milk 6 tb Ghee or clarified butter -(see note) 2 md Onions, chopped
- 5 Black cardamom pods -cinnamon sticks
- 4 Cloves 3 Bay leaves 1 Fresh ginger, grated 4 lg Garlic cloves,
- minced 2 lb Boneless lamb,
- cut into -1/2-inch cubes 1 c Fresh, sweet, unflavored -yogurt Salt
- 1/4 c Heavy cream 1 tb Rose water 1/4 c Blanched almonds
- Grind the cumin and coriander seeds in a spice mill, combine with the red pepper and place near the stove.
- Soak the saffron in hot milk.
- Heat the ghee or clarified butter in a large, shallow, heavy pan. Stir in the onions, cardamom pods, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to turn reddish brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the onions are reddish brown.
- Stir in the ground spices and cook, stirring, for about 10 seconds, or until the spices release their fragrance.
- Dry the meat with paper towels. Stir half of the meat into the spice mixture.
- Increase the heat to medium high and cook, stirring for a few minutes, making sure all the meat is coated with the spices.
- Stir in the remaining meat, and cook as before, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- If the mixture gets too dry, splash in a little water.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- Start adding the yogurt 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring and incorporating it into the mixture before adding the next tablespoonful.
- Continue adding in this way until all the yogurt has been used. Turn the heat to low.
- Cover the pan and simmer the meat for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- If necessary, splash in a little water from time to time.
- When the meat is tender, and salt to taste.
- Stir the cream and cook until the sauce is thick. Stir in the saffron and rose water and heat thoroughly.
- Fry the almonds in a little oil until golden brown. Serve the lamb piping hot garnished with the almonds.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)