Recipe: Shepards Pie
- 1 lb Cold, leftover roast, lamb
- 1/2 oz Flour
- Beef, veal, pork orn 1/4 pt Meat stock or milk Combination of these meats Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lb Potatoes Milk
- 1 1/2 oz 1 1/2 T butter or margarine
- Mince the cold meat, removing all fat, skin and gristle first.
- Cook potatoes, peeled and cut in halves, until soft enough for mashing.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter or maragrine in a saucepan and stir in the four.
- To this add slowly stirring, 1/4 pint meat stock or milk.
- When smooth and fairly thick and just to the point of boiling, stir in the minced meat.
- Stir over a low heat for 3 minutes, seaoning with the salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a flat oven proof dish and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, mash the potatoes, season and stir in 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine, and a little milk and whick with a fork until smooth.
- Set aside until the minced meat is cool enough to have solidified and formed a solid surface.
- If you add the potatoes to hot mince, it will sink into it. When cool, spread the potatoes about an inch thick all over the dish, working lightly with a fork.
- Dot with pieces of butter or cover with grated cheese, if liked. Bkae in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- This dish may be prepared in the morning and left for cooking in the evening wothout harm.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)