Recipe: Simple Souvlaki
- FOR THE SOUVLAKI
- 12 oz Lean ground lamb
- 2 Garlic cloves
- – peeled and crushed 4 tb Minced onion
- 1/2 ts Dried oregano
- 1/2 ts Dried basil
- 1/4 ts Crushed rosemary
- 1/4 ts Thyme leaves
- 1 pn Ground red pepper
- 3 tb Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tb Vegetable oil
- Salt; to taste 4 Pitas
- – wrapped in foil and warmed 1 c Shredded lettuce
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 Garlic clove
- peeled and minced 1/3 c Diced tomato
- 1/3 c Diced cucumber; peeled
- seeded and chopped 2 tb Fresh chopped mint
- 1 tb Fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 c Plain yogurt
- COMBINE THE LAMB with the garlic, onion, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, red pepper, lemon juice and salt and mix just until blended.
- Form the lamb into 12 meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot and almost smoking.
- Add the meatballs and saute over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Drain the lamb balls well.
- Combine the garlic, tomato, cucumber, mint, lemon juice and yogurt in a small bowl.
- Cut open 1 end of each warmed pita, fill with shredded lettuce and 3 meatballs.
- Spoon the sauce over the meatballs and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)