Recipe: Skirlie With Mushrooms
- 8 oz Mushrooms (wild if possible)
- 5 oz Good meat dripping
- 2 Onions
- 1 lb Medium oatmeal
- Salt and black pepper Skirlie is only worth making with good drippings from roasted meat.
- Chrissie remembers that sometimes the cook at the big house would dole out, to people who wanted it, the wonderful dripping that had been used for the umpteen big roasts.
- I like skirlie as a kind of risotto, with wild chanterelles that grow in profusion all over the island.
- The mixture makes an excellent stuffing for a boned shoulder of lamb. Wipe and slice the mushrooms.
- Skin and slice the onion thinly. Fry the mushrooms in 1 oz dripping in a wide frying pan.
- Remove them and reserve. Heat the rest of the dripping. Fry the onion. When the onions are soft but not brown, turn up the heat.
- Add the oatmeal, turn it in the drippings and brown a bit. Throw in the mushrooms.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)