Recipe: Slavonija Braised Lamb
- 3 lb Lamb shoulder
- cut into 1-inch cubes 3 tb Butter or margarine
- 1/3 c Chopped onion
- 1 tb Paprika
- 1 tb Tarragon
- Salt 1/2 c Water or stock
- 1 c Sour cream
- 3 Eggs; slighty beaten
- 1 pn Salt
- 1 c Flour (about)
- Brown lamb slowly in butter, adding additional butter if needed; add onon and paprika.
- Saute 2 or 3 minutes, then add vinegar, salt and stock.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 45 minutes. Stir in sour cream and heat to serving temperature.
- Serve with Spaetzle or noodles. SPAETZLE: Mix eggs, salt and flour together to form a fairly stiff dough.
- Pat out into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick on a damp breadboard. With a damp table knife, cut into strips 1 inch wide.
- Cut or pinch off 1 inch pieces and drop into a kettle of boiling, salted water. When the dough omes to the surface, they are done.
- Drain in a colander and quickly turn into a hot bowl or casserole.
- Sprinkle with butter or buttered crumbs; toss lightly and serve with any sauced meat dish. Source: Katica Biglbauer “Our Favorite Recipes”
- St. Anthony Croatian Catholic Church Typed for you by Karen Mintzias
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)