- 3 lb Mutton fillet (leg)
- 2 tb Butter or drippings
- 2 lg Tablespoons chutney
- 3 Onions (chopped)
- 5 Or 6 lemon leaves
- 1 tb Sugar
- 1 c Vinegar (or 1/2 milk)
- 1 tb Curry powder
- Seasoning Corn flour Cut the meat into cubes of about 1 1/2 inches of fat and lean.
- Put into a basin and season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly brown the onion in the butter then add the curry powder, sugar, chutney and vinegar.
- Simmer for 5 minutes then pour the sauce over the meat, adding the lemon leaves.
- Leave in the sauce overnight, then arrange the meat on skewers, alternating the lean and the fat.
- Drain out of the sauce and grill over a clear fire. Bring the sauce in which the meat was marinated to the boil and thicken with a little corn flour that has been mixed to a paste with cold water.
- Pour this over the soesaties and serve very hot with rice and additional chutney if desired.
- Soesaties may be fried, but in that case they should be cut into somewhat larger pieces and should not be placed on skewers.
- If there is not sufficient fat on the mutton, extra should be used.) Posted by Stephen Ceideburg November 25 1990.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)