Recipe: Terrific Tamale Pie
- 6 sl Bacon
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 c Whole kernel corn, fresh OR -frozen OR canned
- 1/4 c Chopped green chile
- 3 Green onions, chopped
- 1/4 c Cornmeal
- 1/4 ts Oregano
- 1 ts Ground pure hot red chile
- 1 ts Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 ts Ground comino
- 8 oz Tomato sauce
- Cornmeal Piecrust (recipe -follows)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 c Evaporated milk
- 1/2 ts Dry mustard
- 2 c Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 Stuffed olives, sliced
- Fry bacon until crisp; break into large pieces. Set side. Chill bacon drippings until firm for use in the crust.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet; drain off fat. Stir in next 10 ingredients. Reserve egg, evaporated milk, etc. for the top crust.
- Prepare the piecrust, and use it to line a 9-inch pie pan. Place meat mixture in the pan. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine egg, evaporated milk, mustard and cheese. Spread on top of the pie and decorate with the reserved bacon pieces and the sliced olives.
- Bake for 5 minutes longer, or until cheese meltes. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until firm, before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)