Recipe: Tex-Mex Chili Meatballs With Zesty Tomato Sal
- 3 tb Vegetable oil
- 1 sm Onion,diced,about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 ts Chili powder
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 lg Egg
- 1 cn (4 oz) mild green chilies, Drained and chopped
- 1 3/4 c Fresh bread crumbs, about 4 Slices bread
- 1/3 c Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/3 c Shredded mild Cheddar Cheese
- 3/4 ts Salt
- 6 Corn tortillas, half 10 oz. Pkg
- cut into wedges 1 Zesty Tomato Salsa Lettuce leaves, optional Tomato wedges, optional
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.In 12″ skillet,over medium high heat, heat 1 tbsp. vegetable oil;add onion and chili powder;cook about 10 minutes,stirring frequently,until onion is tender and coated with chili powder.
- Remove onion to large bowl;wipe skillet clean.To bowl with onion,add beef,egg,chilies,bread crumbs,1 tbsp. of each of cheeses and salt;using hands or wooden spoon,blend well.Shape mixture into 1 1/4″ balls.
- In skillet over medium-high heat,heat remaining 2 tbsp. oil;add meat mixture;cook 15 minutes,turning frequently,until well browned on all sides and cooked through.Meanwhile,place tortilla chips in single layer on jelly-roll pan;bake 10 minutes until crisp and golden.Prepare Zesty Tomato Salsa.
- To serve:Spoon meatballs into center of large serving platter;sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese.Arrange tomato wedges and lettuce around meatballs if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and salsa.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)