Recipe: Tex-Mex Steak And Tortillas
- 1 1/2 lb Boneless sirloin each about
- 1/2-in. thick
- 1/2 c Corn oil
- 3 ts Garlic, chopped
- 4 tb Red wine vinegar
- 1 lb Ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 c Onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 c Red chilies, chopped fine
- 1/4 c Coriander, chopped fine
- 12 Flour tortillas
- Prepare a very hot charcoal fire.
- There should be about 6 individual steaks. Cut each of these in half. Blend the oil, 2 tsp garlic ans 3 tbsp vinegar in a flat dish. Add the steaks, turning to coat the pieces well. Set aside.
- Core the tomatoes but do not peel them. Cut them into 1/4-in. cubes and put them in a mixing bowl. Add the onion, chilies, coriander, remaining garlic and vinegar. Blend well. Set this sauce aside.
- Put about 4 slices of steak at a time on the hot grill and cook for 1 min. or less to a side, depending on the desired degree of doneness. Simultaneously, add a similar number of tortillas and cook them for a few sec. to a side just to heat through. Do not heat for for long or they will dry out.
- Place one piece of steak in the center of a warm tortilla, spoon a little sauce over the meat and fold the side of the tortilla over the ends up to enclose the meat. Eat like a sandwich.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Mexican